This collection of files details the conservation designations of over 13,000 UK "taxa" that have been assigned some form of rarity, threat or legal status in Great Britain or the UK. It is a collation of many different "designation" lists including country-specific lists, and lists produced by national and International conventions or directives.
The collection of files contains an Excel workbook, a guidance document detailing how to use the spreadsheet, and a document detailing the constituents lists included in the spreadsheet. These resources are available to download either separately or as a zipped file.
The following designation types are included in the spreadsheet:
- Bern Convention (Appendices 1, 2 and 3);
- Bonn Convention â Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species (Appendices 1 and 2, AEWA, ASCOBANS, EUROBATS);
- Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) UK priority species list;
- Birds Directive (Annexes 1, 2.1 and 2.2);
- Birds of Conservation Concern (Red/Amber list and not based on IUCN criteria);
- Convention on Migratory Species;
- EC CITES (Annexes A, B, C and D);
- Global Red list status (this includes red listings based on pre-1994, 1994 and 2001 IUCN guidelines);
- Habitats Directive (Annexes 2, 4 and 5);
- Nationally Rare/Scarce (not based on IUCN criteria);
- Nationally Scarce and Nationally Rare Species (also with an IUCN status);
- National Red Lists (this includes red listings based on pre-1994, 1994 and 2001 IUCN guidelines);
- Protection of Badgers Act 1992;
- Species of principal importance in England, Scotland, Wales and North Ireland (NERC section 41 and 42 lists, Scottish Biodiversity List and Northern Ireland Priority Species List);
- The Conservation (Nature Habitats) Regulations (NI) 1995 (Schedule 2, 3 and 4);
- The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 (Schedule 2, 4 and 5);
- The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 1, 5 and 8);
- Wildlife (NI) Order 1985 (Schedule 1 part 1, Schedule 1 part 2, Schedule 5, Schedule 8 part 1, Schedule 8 part 2).
Please note, this is not a fully comprehensive collation of designations for UK species; for example, local red list assessments are not included, and for some reporting categories only selected annexes/appendices/schedules are included. Note that the generic term "taxa" is in this context a more strictly accurate term than "species" because some of the listed entities are ranked as being either above or below the "species" level.
A spreadsheet containing a consolidated list of threatened (Red listed) Fauna and Flora, originating from the Species designations spreadsheet, is also available. This information can be found within the species designations spreadsheet by filtering the Red list columns. Please note, this spreadsheet will only be updated when the Species designations spreadsheet is updated.
Further information, including details of updates, is available on the Conservation designations webpage.
To provide feedback on the Conservation Designations for UK Taxa spreadsheet, please get in touch.
These resources may not be fully accessible for all users. If you need a copy in a different or more accessible format, please get in touch.